May is Bike Month!
Here are some of the events we’ll be holding for Bike Month 2020. We will add new events as they are planned, so be sure to check back often!
Wednesday, May 6: Bike to School Day
- Join kids all over America and ride your bike to school today!
- Parents: join together with your neighbors and friends to form bike trains—adults in the front and back, and kids ride in the middle—a fun and healthy way to get to school!
- For the City of Harrisonburg, contact Eric King the HCPS Safe Routes to School Coordinator at [email protected] for more information on planned activities in the City of Harrisonburg.
Wednesday, May 7: Ride of Silence
- The Ride of Silence will begin in North America and roll across the globe, beginning at 7:00 PM in every time zone. Cyclists will take to the roads in a silent procession to honor cyclists who have been killed or injured while cycling on public roadways.
- Although cyclists have a legal right to share the road with motorists, the motoring public often isn’t aware of these rights, and sometimes not aware of the cyclists themselves.
- Harrisonburg’s Ride of Silence begins and ends at the University Commons on the EMU campus.
Friday, May 20: Bike Everywhere Day
- Join people all over the country and ride your bike EVERWHERE! While you’re at it, organize a team of riders and participate in a little friendly competition.
- SVBC will be hosting a free breakfast on Court Square, served from 7:00 till 10:00 am for all riders.
- Stop by and join us for coffee and pastries, and some friendly conversation with fellow riders!
- It is not always easy to ride to work. Use this day to ride anywhere. Ride to lunch. ride to the library. Ride to the store. Ride everywhere.
Friday, May 24: Bike or Run, Sweat and Beers
- Head over to Brothers Craft Brewing (formerly 3 Brothers) on N. Main St. this evening for the third annual edition of this casual, 10-mile ride around the city!
- The ride starts around 5:30, but you’ll want to arrive early to get registered …
- … because all registered riders 21 and older receive a $1 discount on an after-ride beer!