Interested in Serving as a Coalition Board Member?
Are you interested in serving on the Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Coalition Board of Directors?
The Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Coalition is an established organization (40-year history) with strong grassroots support. Our board is active and engaged in growing our impact while strengthening your Coalition and invites you to join us.
We are looking for candidates who will help further the Coalition’s mission to build better communities in the Valley. If you are interested in starting the process to see if board service is right for you, please fill out our letter of interest at the bottom of this page.
If you have questions or would like to talk to someone from the board engagement team before filling out the below form, please get in touch with our board engagement committee: [email protected]
We ask that Board Members:
- Act as enthusiastic ambassadors for The Bicycle Coalition in the community
- Participate in annual strategic planning sessions to set goals for the organization and assess the organization’s performance.
- Help the Coalition live up to our JEDI committment
- Actively assist with fundraising efforts
- Participate in the work of our various spokes or “committees.”
- Attend all board meetings within reason.
- Assist with monitoring financial reports.
- Evaluate the performance of the Executive Director.
- Time commitment: The board meets for two hours 8-10 months out of the year, and board members are asked to help with committee work between these meetings – such as development, communications, or advocacy. Three-year term limits are placed on board members, and those terms can be renewed.
- Community Centric Fundraising is core to our development approach. All board members are asked to help ensure that we live up to the principles of Community Centric Fundraising.
The Bicycle Coalition works to Build Better Communities in the Valley using the Bicycle as a tool. Our Coalition Board helps ensure our campaigns are a success. Current campaigns include:
- Safe Routes for Everyone – Space for everyone to ride and walk in our communities
- Shenandoah Rail Trail – A transformational project to connect communities in the Valley for biking and walking
- More Trails Close to Home – Expanding access to trails in the Valley that are more accessible and welcoming for new visitors.
- Trails on Public Lands – Expanding and improving accessible trails on our public lands, largely in the National Forest.
- Bikes for Neighbors – Providing bikes to community members for transportation
Next steps for Serving on the Coalition Board – Letter of Interest Form
Do you have questions before you submit this form? Please get in touch with our board engagement committee: [email protected]
Once you submit this form, someone from our board engagement team will contact you to discuss the next steps and answer any questions.