Helmets Required. And, for insurance purposes, so is SVBC membership after an initial guest ride.
HELMETS ARE REQUIRED for all SVBC Rides!
Weekly Rides and Trail Work
- Massanutten Mondays, 5:30 pm 2019 Start date: March 18
- Description: Social intermediate mountain bike ride.
- Pace: Steady, moderate pace.
- Length: 1.5 – 2 hours.
- Location: Meet at the Massanutten Western Slope parking lot.
- Ride Leader Contact Information: Mike Bowen [email protected] (540-246-6081) and Jonathan Albert [email protected] (540.746.4359)
MONDAYS: Post-kid bedtime night ride. ALL are welcome.
Monday, 8:30pm…1-1 1/2 Road ride into Rockingham County.
Length: 1-1 1/2 hour road ride with a little social time afterward and maybe a beverage.
Pace: We usually average around 15 mph, the goal is to ride as a group and have fun.
Location: Shenandoah Bicycle Company 135 South Main St
Ride Leader Contact Information: Thomas Jenkins [email protected] or
- Tuesday Night “Fast Ride,” 5:30 pm 2019 Rides begin on March 12
- Description: This is a “drop” road ride, but you will often find the group waiting up for some folks as the terrain and flow of the ride permits. However, there is no guarantee that the group will wait for you if you fall off the back. Generally, the group does not lose more than 25% of riders.
- Pace: The ride averages close to 20mph, sometimes less depending on the hills.
- Length: About 2 hours.
- Location: Meet at Shenandoah Bicycle Company.
- Ride Leader Contact Information: Email Kyle Lawrence. or Call with questions
- See the 5 routes that rotate through here: Tuesday Night Ride Routes
- Women’s Road Ride, meet us near the skate park at Westover Park every Tuesday at 5:30 pm 2019 Rides begin on April 2
- Description: Group bike ride for the ladies.
- Pace: Slow/moderate
- Length: 1.5 – 2 hours
- Location: Westover Park (parking lot near the skate park)
- Ride Leader Contact Information: Kari Carpenter at or [email protected] and Marcia at or [email protected]
- Social Road Ride, 5:15 pm (SHARP) 2019 rides begin March 13
- Description: This is an intermediate, social road ride.
- Pace: Pace is “social,” 12 – 14 mph, with no one dropped.
- Length: Between 20 and 30 miles, or 1.5-2 hours.
- Location: Meet at Harrisonburg High S on 1001 Garbers Church Road.
- Ride Leader Contact Information: Marcia or [email protected]
- Staunton Women on Wheels (WOW) Ride 6:00 pm 2019 Start Date TBD
- Description: Women’s ride, ALL levels welcome. No drops, no apologies!
- Pace: Short loop is relaxed pace with pauses to regroup. Longer ride is 12-14 mph, social. Length: Short loop 9 miles; longer ride 20-25 miles.
- Location: Queen City Brewing, 834 Spring Hill Rd., Staunton
- Questions: Please email [email protected].
- Trail Work, 5 pm – 8pm Begins April 4, 2019
- Description: Weekly trail work building and maintaining the trails at Massanutten Western Slope.
- What to Bring: Bring gloves and good trail work attire. The Coalition will supply tools and drinks.
- Location: We will work on the newest trail up top, “The Puzzler” Parking will be at the bottom of the 2K trail. Park on the same side of the road as all the other cars.
- Trail Work Leader Contact Information: Thomas, [email protected] or 540-236-2001.
- Thursday Steady Road Ride, 5:30 2019 Start Date 3/14
- Description: This is a group ride of about 30 miles with an average speed of 17-18mph. This is not a no-drop ride, so it is helpful to know your way back if you fall off the pace. Multiple Routes and riders should be prepared to ride on dirt roads.
- Length: +/-2 hour ride. 30-40 mile
- Location: Meet at Rocktown Bicycles.
- Ride Leader Contact Information: Chris Michaels, and Kelly Paduch
([email protected]) or ([email protected])
- Friday Fatty Mountain Bike Ride, 3:00 pm 2019 Rides begin on April 5
- ***Not a SVBCoalition Ride***
- Description: A group mountain bike ride that explores the inner depths of the George Washington National Forest
- Length: 3-4 hour ride on backcountry trails of intermediate to advanced terrain. Expect 30-45 minutes drive time each way to/from the ride’s start.
- Location: Varies each week. We’ll try to make the selection by Thursday every week, but the location is subject to change at the last minute to accommodate current weather and trail conditions.
- Logistics: Leave (drive/carpool) from Shenandoah Bicycle Company. For those catching a lift with others to/from the ride’s start, leave your car in the municipal lot (free parking) by the Turner Pavilion. Then just walk over to SBC with your bike and gear, and we’ll load up there.
- Ride Leader Contact Information: Tim Richardson, [email protected] or Sue George, [email protected]
- Sunday Bridgewater Road Ride, May 26 – Start time 9 AM. Riding on hard surface roads.
- Description: Social intermediate road ride. No one is dropped. This is a ride for those that can ride at an intermediate pace. 40-50 miles in warm weather. 20-30 miles in cold weather. Check this webpage each Saturday for weekly for updates.
- Pace: Faster than Wednesday’s social ride and slower than Thursday’s steady ride.
- Length: 2-4 hours.
- Location: Leaves from Bridgewater’s Wildwood Park, West Bank St.
- Ride Leader Contact Information: Rich Harris, harrisra (at) jmu (dot) edu or
- Sunday Harrisonburg Road Ride. We have moved our start time to 9:00 AM.
- Description: Casual road ride, Sundays throughout the year. Check this webpage each Saturday for weekly updates.
- Pace: Casual-pace; nobody gets dropped.
- Length: Usually 20-40 miles; occasionally more.
- Location: 745 South Dogwood Dr., Harrisonburg
- Ride Leader Contact Information: Carl Droms, dromscg (at) gmail (dot) com or 540-908-7806.
Ride Leaders: Need Waivers for your rides? Group Waiver and Individual/minor waiver