Save the Date: 2019 Summit will be held on Friday, November 1 at the Hotel Madison
Stay tuned for more information to include keynote speaker and theme. Questions? Need more information? Please Contact us: [email protected]
2018 Bike-Walk Summit Information
The 2018 Harrisonburg & Rockingham Bike-Walk Summit will be held on November 2, 2018, from 8:00 AM to 2:30 PM on the James Madison University (JMU) campus. Each year the Bike-Walk Summit brings together a broad range of partners who are working to make Harrisonburg and Rockingham County a great biking and walking community to live in and visit.
Our 2018 theme focused on “Removing barriers and achieving the Vision,“ with a keynote address from Max Hepp Buchanan, Former Director of Bike-Walk RVA. Max told Richmond’s story of a journey from a small community of recreational cyclists to hosting the UCI World Cycling Championships. Then transitioning towards a large population of people who walk and bike for transportation, not just recreation. We learned about Richmond’s Vision Zero and a Complete Streets policies after uptick in pedestrian and cyclist crashes and fatalities.
Presented by: The Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Coalition (SVBC) and the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Metropolitan Planning Organization (HRMPO) Click for: Press Release for 2018 Summit
Goals of the Summit
1. To develop relationships and partnerships between the stakeholders in the bicycle and pedestrian development in the city and county.
2. To coordinate and build on the bicycle and pedestrian efforts between the city, county, and other key stakeholders to make our region more bicycle and pedestrian friendly
3. To educate elected officials, planners and decision makers to the community, health and economic benefits of bicycling and walking.
4. To identify specific actions that are needed to make Harrisonburg and Rockingham County the Bike and Pedestrian Community of Virginia
5. To develop collaborative bike and pedestrian action steps for the coming year.
Questions? Contact Us: [email protected]