This year’s SVBC Century will be on September 8, 2013–details coming soon!
The 30th Annual Shenandoah Valley Century is September 9, 2012
If you are trying to register, we have filled our 300 rider limit. Sorry, but we cannot accept anymore preregistrations. We will accept some riders the day of the ride if slots open up due to no-shows. If you need more information, email [email protected] Phone messages will only be answered if time allows.
Bicycle rides of 25, 50, or 100 miles through the scenic and historic Shenandoah Valley of Virginia Sponsored by the Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Coalition.
We invite you to help us celebrate the SHENANDOAH VALLEY CENTURY for some of the finest cycling to be found. The ride starts in Harrisonburg, the bike capital of Virginia, and includes scenic vistas, small towns, beautiful farms, quiet roads, and more. All routes are paved and have low traffic volume. Participants ride at their own pace; the event is not a race. Maps are provided and the route will be patrolled by automobile sag to provide assistance as needed. A food and drink stop is provided every 25 miles and at the midpoint of the 25-mile ride.
What is a century ride?
A “Century” refers to a bicycle ride of 100 miles (a century of miles). Century rides originated in the late 1800′s, when cyclist would attempt to ride the 100 miles in under ten hours. Now, rides of various lengths are offered to suit all abilities with no time limits set.
What do I get?
Registration includes route map, marked route, route patrol, mechanical help, food and water stops during the ride, and after ride treats. Massages will be available after the ride for a nominal fee.
As in past years, portraits will be taken before the ride start, and then on-the-road pictures during the ride. These will be available for viewing on the SVBC website and free download.
Check out photos from previous years. The previous link has photos up through 2008. Some more recent photos can be found in in the club’s flickr Photo Pool. Feel free to contribute your own photos to the SVBCoaltion Group Pool after the ride.
Special for this year
To commemorate our 30th year, special design, SVC cycling socks are available. Limited edition; see below for details.
Also, all participants will receive a $10 coupon to Shenandoah Bicycle Company.
For more information contact:
Art Fovargue / (540)433-9247 / [email protected]
- Individual $14.00 pre-registration, $20 after Sept. 2
- Family $30 (3 or more family members) pre-registration, $40 after Sept 2
- Optional pair of cycling socks, $4.00, one pair per participant.
- Register Online
- We have filled our 300 rider limit. Sorry, but we cannot accept anymore preregistrations. We will accept some riders the day of the ride if slots open up due to no-shows. If you need more information, email [email protected] Phone messages will only be answered if time allows.
- Register By Mail
- Print out the registration form and mail in.
- Register Event Day
- Register on the day of the event
There is a rider limit of 300 riders. If the limit is reached, event day registrations will not be possible.
Resources and Details
- 7:00am – Registration open for all rides
- 8:00am – Start for 100 mile ride
- 9:00am – Start for 50 & 25 mile ride
- Hillandale Park Shelter 11
GPS Climbing Profile and Map – Download Map and Climbing Profile
Rest Stops and Sag Support
- Rest Stop
- All rides are supported with rest stops every 20-25 miles and a midpoint rest stop for the 25 mile ride. The rest stops are well stocked with a variety of food and beverages, free with registration.
- Sag Support
- Auto sag support will be available on each route to provide help for those who need assistance. Please be prepared to fix minor repairs, for example, bring a flat tire fix kit, to avoid unnecessary delays.
- Cycling Socks
- In celebration of our 30th annual event, commemorative SVC cycling socks may be purchased for $4, limit one pair per participant. Availability only guaranteed to the first 240 pre-registrants.
- Come early to have your free portrait taken with your bike and friends. Portrait and ride photos will be posted on the website after the ride for viewing and downloading.
- Door Prizes
- All those who register and participate, will be entered in the drawing for numerous door prizes from our generous sponsors including:
- $100 gift certificate – Joshua Wilton House Inn and Restaurant
- Two $50 gift certificates – The Sole Source
- Three matted photographs – Strawderman Photography
- Two authentic Tour de France King of the Mountain Carrefour cycling caps from Stage 8
- Two 1/2 hour massages from Indigo Massage
- Two $25 gift certificates – Clementine’s
- $10 gift certificate – Laughing Dog
- $25 gift certificate – Traditions
- Plenty of paninis and other great food to enjoy after the ride – stay and celebrate.
- Massages will be available after the ride for a nominal fee.
Harrisonburg is easily reached from the north or south via I-81. Hillandale Avenue is off Route 42 (South High Street) on the western side of the city.
Interstate 81 to Exit 245, go west on Port Republic Road. Cross Rt 11 (S Main St), continue straight 0.5 mile, turn left onto route 42 (S High St). Hillandale Avenue will be a right turn 0.8 mile down the road. Turn right on Hillanadale Ave., go straight after the next stop sign to enter Hillandale Park. Shelter #11 is on the main thoroughfare near the end of the park.
Parking in Hillandale may be limited. Additional parking is available at the nearby Food Lion and other locations.
For lodging information you might find these websites helpful:
Thanks to our sponsors and contributors:
Branner Printing for brochure printing
Stealth Ink for brochure, poster, & sock design
Friendly City Food Co-op for food donation through their Community Fund
Also, support our area bike shops.