Friday, October 10, 2014
James Madison University (JMU) campus
“The Benefits of Bicycling and Walking Tourism”
Presented by: The Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Coalition (SVBC) and the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Metropolitan Planning Organization (HRMPO)
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
Contact [email protected] for registration information.
The Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Coalition (SVBC) and the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Metropolitan Planning Organization (HRMPO), in partnership with the City of Harrisonburg and Rockingham County, announce the 2014 Harrisonburg & Rockingham Bike-Walk Summit on October 10, 2014, on the James Madison University (JMU) campus.
Each year the Bike-Walk Summit brings together a broad range of partners who are working to make Harrisonburg and Rockingham County a great biking and walking community to live in and visit. This year we will focus on bicycle tourism with an exciting keynote address from Ginny Sullivan, Director of Travel Initiatives for the Adventure Cycling Association.
The JMU Bike and Pedestrian Committee and the Office of Community Service-Learning will host the event with breakfast and lunch provided for all attendees.
We hope to see you on October 10th. We will be sending additional details, a full agenda, and registration information as we get closer to the event.
Please send any questions you may have or requests to be added to our event mailing list to Kevin McDermott at [email protected], or 540-885-5174.
Check out this great 2:30 minute video on how Bicycling can save Small Towns!
Summit Agenda – “The Benefits of Bicycling and Walking Tourism”
8:00-8:30am – Breakfast
8:30-8:45am – Welcome – JMU President Jon Alger
8:45-9:15am – Interactive Activity
9:15-9:45am – Year in Review – Hear about all the great things we’ve accomplished since last year’s summit!
9:45-10:45am – Keynote Address with Q&A – “The Benefits of Bicycling and Walking Tourism” – Ginny Sullivan, Director of Travel Initiatives, Adventure Cycling
10:45-11am – Break
11-12noon – Interactive Session – Generating ideas for our community
12noon-1pm – Lunch
1-2pm – Afternoon Choice Making – Developing priorities and setting goals for the next year
2-2:15pm – Closing
And join us after the Summit for the Summit Social! Ruby’s Lounge (Clementine Cafe Basement) from 3:30pm-5:30pm. Open to everyone.
Goals of the Summit
1. To develop relationships and partnerships between the stakeholders in the bicycle and pedestrian development in the city and county.
2. To coordinate and build on the bicycle and pedestrian efforts between the city, county and other key stakeholders to make our region more bicycle and pedestrian friendly
3. To educate elected officials, planners and decision makers to the community, health and economic benefits of bicycling and walking.
4. To identify specific actions that are needed to make Harrisonburg and Rockingham County the Bike and Pedestrian Community of Virginia
5. To develop collaborative bike and pedestrian action steps for the coming year.
- James Madison University Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Committee
- James Madison University Office of Community Service-Learning