The Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Coalition formed in 2008 when the Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Club and the Shenandoah Mountain Bike Club merged, combining road cycling and mountain biking under one umbrella organization. With more than 850 members, we are the primary resource that organizes, communicates and advocates for an active and diverse cycling community in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia where an abundance of opportunities await cyclists of all types, ages, and abilities.
The Executive Director serves as the operational manager and spokesperson for the Coalition’s various cycling-related activities. The Executive Director’s role is to help members plan and coordinate Coalition programs, manage the website, and engage in advertising, outreach, and networking for the Coalition. The Executive Director also works with outside groups to strengthen support for the area’s cycling initiatives. The Executive Director collaborates with the Board, the membership, and various committees. He or she will work with the Board to plan, implement, and manage all aspects of the Coalition. This position requires excellent skills in written and verbal communication, organization, volunteer coordination, and public education.
- Assist active members in coordination and outreach for the Coalition’s various planned cycling activities and initiate new programs and activities in accordance with the mission and vision of SVBC.
- Maintain website, social media platforms and traditional outreach to ensure members and the public are informed of upcoming events, initiatives, and meetings.
- Ensure that individual rides and events are in compliance with the Coalition’s insurance policies.
- Network with local officials to ensure ongoing development of the immediate region’s greenways, bike lanes, sidewalks, bike events, bike education, and bike trails.
- Network with other local organizations to provide mutual support for all cycling activities. Current examples include: Bike The Valley, local bicycle shops and associated places of business, Shenandoah Mountain Touring, Massanutten Resort, Bryce Resort, the National Forest, Safe Routes to School, the Gran Fondo, middle school and high school mountain bike teams.
- Spokesperson for the Coalition in news articles, stakeholder meetings, and public events.
- Evaluate the success of the Coalition’s initiatives and events, both qualitatively and quantitatively.
- Ensure the financial viability of the Coalition by implementing targeted growth in membership, events, and fundraising.
- Assist with formalizing SVBC committees and provide regular feedback to the Board about committee activities to enhance coordination and communication within the club.
- Assist SVBC committees with finding and retaining active, engaged volunteers.
- Keep Coalition finances organized and up-to-date.
- Actively engage in fundraising activities, including applying for grants relevant to the mission of the Coalition and efforts to increase donations from community sources.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Ability to organize volunteers
- Ability to prepare basic financial statements and maintain organized financial data
- Working knowledge of blog and website skills
- Ability to use and understand spreadsheets
- Basic photography skills
- Driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Demonstrated commitment to cycling advocacy
- Knowledge of bicycle safety and bicycle laws
- Friendly and approachable personality
- Public speaking skills
- Significant experience as a paid or volunteer leader with a not-for-profit organization
- Extensive public speaking and/or public relations.
Salary commensurate with experience.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to: [email protected] by May 7, 2018.