The 36th Annual Shenandoah Valley Century will be on Sunday, September 9, 2018
Bicycle rides of 25, 50, and 100 miles through the scenic and historic Shenandoah Valley sponsored by the Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Coalition.
We invite you to help us celebrate the SHENANDOAH VALLEY CENTURY for some of the finest cycling to be found. The ride starts in Harrisonburg, the bike capital of Virginia, and includes scenic vistas, small towns, beautiful farms, quiet roads, and more. All routes are paved and have low traffic volume. Participants ride at their own pace; the event is not a race. Maps are provided and the route will be patrolled by automobile SAG to provide assistance as needed. A food and drink stop is provided every 25 miles and at the midpoint of the 25-mile ride.
What is a century ride?
A “Century” refers to a bicycle ride of 100 miles (a century of miles). Century rides originated in the late 1800’s when cyclists would attempt to ride the 100 miles in under ten hours. Now, rides of various lengths are offered to suit all abilities, with no time limits set.
What do I get?
Registration includes route map, marked route, route patrol, mechanical help, food and water stops during the ride, and after ride treats. Massages will be available after the ride for a nominal fee.
For more information, send email to: [email protected]
Online registration: Click here to register online. (NOTE: If you choose a family registration, be sure to enter each family member as a guest!)
Mail-in registration: Prefer to register by mail? Click here to download a registration form.
All riders will be required to sign an informed consent form when they check in the morning of the ride!
- Preregistration (through Sept. 2, 2018)
- Individual: $15 for SVBC members, $20 for non-members
- Family: $30 for SVBC members, $40 for non-members
- Late registration (Sept. 3-9, 2018)
- Individual: $20 for SVBC members, $25 for non-members
- Family: $40 for SVBC members, $50 for non-members
(“Family” means 3 or more members of one family living at the same address.)
Resources and Details
- 7:00am – Registration open for all rides
- 8:00am – Start for 100 mile ride
- 9:00am – Start for 50 & 25 mile rides
- (If riding the 25- or 50-mile route, we suggest you register after 8:00am to
- avoid lines.)
- Hillandale Park Shelter 11
- Maps, cues and GPS data
- Check out the 100-mile, 50-mile and 25-mile courses on ridewithgps.com.
- You can download printable maps and cues for all rides: click here for Loops 1 and 4 of the Century (which together make up the 50-mile ride), here for Loops 2 and 3, and here for the 25-mile ride.
- We also have GPX files for the 100 mile, the 50 mile, and 25-mile rides.
Rest Stops and SAG Support
- Rest Stops
- All rides are supported with rest stops every 20-25 miles and a midpoint rest stop for the 25 mile ride. The rest stops are well stocked with a variety of food and beverages, free with registration.
- NOTE: the rest stop in Bridgewater will close at 4:00 pm and the one in Hillandale will close at 6:00 pm.
- SAG Support
- Auto SAG support will be available on each route to provide help for those who need assistance. Please be prepared to fix minor repairs, for example, bring a flat tire repair kit, to avoid unnecessary delays.
- NOTE: SAG support will end at 6:00 PM.
- There will be plenty of paninis and other great food to enjoy after the ride – stay and celebrate!
Take Interstate 81 to Exit 245. Go west on Port Republic Road. Cross Rt 11 (S Main St), and continue straight for 0.5 mile. Turn left onto route 42 (S High St). After another 0.8 mile, turn right on Hillandale Ave. Go straight at the next stop sign to enter Hillandale Park. Shelter #11 is on the main thoroughfare near the end of the park.
Click here for a Google map of the directions from I-81 to Hillandale Park.
NOTE: parking in Hillandale may be limited. Additional parking is available at the nearby Food Lion and other locations.
For lodging information you might find these websites helpful:
Interested in Volunteering?
Send an email to [email protected] We’d love to have your help!