The Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Coalition (SVBC) was formed in 2008 with the merger of the Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Club (a road cycling club formed in 1982) and the Shenandoah Mountain Bike Club (formed in 1996).
SVBC envisions an active and organized cycling community in the central Shenandoah Valley that represents all types and levels of cycling and cyclists. The SVBC will further the interests of its diverse membership by advocating for, and providing resources to the cycling community so Harrisonburg and the Central Shenandoah Valley will become known as a center of safe, sustainable and enjoyable cycling on roads, trails, and streets.
The SVBC supports all types of cycling and cyclists by:
- Promoting, organizing and publicizing cycling through weekly, monthly and annual events.
- Advocating for safe roads and access to trails by developing partnerships with agencies, land managers, (shared) resource users; and organizations from the local to the national level.
- Providing channels for communication among it’s membership as well as channels of communication for cycling and cycling related issues.
- Fostering cycling for transportation, fitness and recreation.
- Encouraging new cyclists and the development and participation of cyclists of all ages and abilities.
- Maintaining a structure that allows for new and emerging cycling initiatives.
- Working to increase the number of active cyclists in the community.
- Represents Harrisonburg’s excellence as a center for all types of cycling.